Monday, April 8, 2013

What I am doing with my life?

An individual has not started living until he can rise above the narrow confines of his individualistic concerns to the broader concerns of all humanity. - Martin Luther King Jr.

I have been privileged in my life...A good family, wonderful job, great kids, supportive husband, a few close friends...Isn't that enough to make you happy?
I guess...
Lately, I have been questioning life a lot. What's my purpose? How can I help? Where do I go from here? So many questions, so few answers.
Midlife crisis? May be...
I would rather call it a wake-up call, an examination of my very existence on this world and the impact I want to leave, of my profound belief in humanity and its possibilities despite all the wrongs happening everyday.
Wow! That's profound!
So I chose. I chose to give back. Is it to make me feel better about the fact that I was born on the right side of the planet? Partly. But more importantly, it is to discover the heart of the human being in the most simple living conditions, what is at its core and how the unconditional love that it can give can bring a smile to the most deserving people in the world - those that have nothing.
I am now on my way to the Central African Republic (CAR), in the heart of Africa. This country is one of the poorest in the world, with an almost non-existent health care system. I was lucky enough to have my application with Médecins sans Frontières (MSF) accepted. This great organization brings healing and hope to the ones who are suffering.  They are impartial and neutral. They speak to my strong sense of humanity.  As quoted by the Dalai Lama, "Love and compassion are necessities, not luxuries. Without them humanity cannot survive."
I will see many things...Some will be difficult to bear and accept. Some will be beautiful and unforgettable. Whatever they are, I am ready to open my heart to this incredible privilege and forthcoming experience...
I will attempt to share this with you, family and friends, as often as I can.
In love and compassion,
Janique xxx

No comments:

Post a Comment